Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Another Lawrence

                                                                                                                                       
Four TSA checkpoints later, my load was a little lighter (who knew that so many art materials could be used as terrorist devices), and I was on the last leg of my journey. I just survived my longest stretch (no pun intended, but it does work) of the14.5 hour journey from JFK to Johannesburg. My seat was at the back of the plane behind two infants and a stressed-looking mom. No problem. Two of the coolest kids ever. Smiled and laughed and played peek-a-boo for most of the flight…well, a few whimpers and a couple of throw-ups.

I have one regret----that I did not take more time to learn more about South Africa before departure. I have some general knowledge of the struggle for power and order in the rough transition to independence in the countries of Sub Saharan Africa and, of course, the story of Nelson Mandela and apartheid.  But most of it is spotty at best.

So I  was uncharacteristically eager to strike up a conversation with my black seatmate when I learned that he, too, was recently retired. He had been born and raised in Durban, on the East Coast of South Africa. He shares the same Christian name as Lawrence Yombwe, my host. Lawrence Nkabinde told me of his experience going to school with the brilliant Steve Bico, the anti-apartheid activist, and how he was called home from college when his father died.

His father, a world class orchestral and choral director, was returning home along the East coast from a concert in Capetown.  He offered to assist the bus driver back up in the dark and was killed when he fell under the wheel. Being the eldest son, Lawrence was called home to take over the family estate because his mother couldn’t own property under the laws of apartheid.

Though women have recently made great strides toward equality, it is a work in progress, and it is certainly not world-wide. So I spent the first two days in Zambia sitting in on a women’s empowerment conference at the Wayi Wayi studios. The movement is about changing the cycle of abuse and neglect for women through various avenues, such as teaching them self -worth through the arts. This is my hope, that I can add in some small way to that teaching.
Woman's conference at the WayiWayi Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment