Saturday, February 6, 2016

The Road to Zambia

If you had a chance to view the link to the backstory through the hundredgivers blog (reference the first blog) you know that my connection to the WayiWayi studios in Livingston has developed over the last year or so. It started when I heard they had a plan to build an artist-in-residence facility with little more than an idea that they might be able to pull it off. This is not an area of Africa that has a lot of money laying around for start up ideas such as this. So when I saw pictures of the building under construction, I thought I could be able to lend a hand with the construction (I have put in my 10,000hr requirement to be a master builder) but in the time that I have begun to put together this trip, the walls have gone up, and the roof has been put on. Lawrence and Agness Yambwe (who run the school) have both recently had successful showings of their artwork and they have poured some of this good fortune into this building to get this project going. This development has allowed me to think more about what I could teach when I arrive in May, rather than what I can do to further the building. I am currently gathering art supplies, and equipment that would be useful for the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment